Home > architecture > Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

May 4th, 2009

We’ve been getting a lot of positive feedback from the community regarding Cloud Antivirus. Thanks to all for downloading, testing, and using it. Of course there are many questions that are being answered through this blog and via comments, but as not all users read through the comments, I thought I’d compile a list of the most important and most common questions as well as answers. The list is comments/questions is the following (scroll down for the answers):

• Why isn’t there a 64bit and Windows7 version?
  • Will Panda Cloud Antivirus continue being FREE after the beta is over?
  • Do I need to run a different antivirus at the same time as Cloud Antivirus?
  • Am I still protected when I’m not connected to the Internet?
  • After installing Cloud Antivirus I scanned my PC and it took a really long time. What’s up?
  • Are my files being sent to the cloud for scanning?
  • What exactly is sent to the cloud?
  • Cloud Antivirus detected a Trojan and deleted it. How can I get it back?
  • Why can’t I choose delete/block/ignore when it detects a Trojan?
  • Can I run Cloud Antivirus alongside my Norton360/AVG/Etc.?
  • Scan stuck at x%.
  • I have 2 monitors and Cloud Antivirus always appears right in the middle of both.
  • Since I installed Cloud Antivirus my system has *really* slowed down to a crawl.
  • I’m having problems downloading the Cloud Antivirus installation program.

Why isn’t there a 64bit and Windows7 version?

Basically we wanted to get Cloud Antivirus out there and tested as soon as possible to validate the new philosophy and protection model. Supporting additional configurations was less of a priority than seeing if the model is truly valid or not. However we’re seeing that by popular demand this is the #1 request we’re getting so we’ll re-think our priorities and try to release these builds as soon as possible.

Will Panda Cloud Antivirus continue being FREE after the beta is over?

YES. Absolutely. 100%. Free.

Do I need to run a different antivirus at the same time as Cloud Antivirus?

No. Cloud Antivirus provides all the protection you need from viruses, malware, etc. Also it is not recommended to run 2 different AV engines at the same time as they can conflict with each other.

Am I still protected when I’m not connected to the Internet?

Yes, you do not need to be connected to the Internet all the time in order to be protected. Cloud Antivirus stores a “local cache copy” of Collective Intelligence for offline operation. As soon as you disconnect, Cloud Antivirus still works in the background, checking every file against its local cache of detections. This local cache includes, amongst other things, detection for all malware files which are currently in circulation and affecting users.

If you run an on-demand scan of your entire system right after installing Cloud Antivirus you will experience this slowness because both the initial Background Scan and the on-demand scan are running simultaneously. Panda Cloud Antivirus runs a Background Scan after installation. During this Background Scan Cloud Antivirus does a review of the entire PC by scanning it and by filling up its goodware cache (checking known good files against the cloud) in order to optimize future scans. Simply allow Cloud Antivirus to finish its Background Scan before launching a full system scan. If you are experiencing problems after that, please export your Windows Event Log for Cloud Antivirus (My PC, Manage, Event Viewer, Nano, right-click & Save as) and send it to us at beta@pandasecurity.com.

Are my files being sent to the cloud for scanning?

No. Absolutely no files and no personal information is sent to the cloud. Also only PE files (.EXE, .COM, etc.) are checked against the cloud. Non-PE files such as pictures, documents, etc are not scanned from the cloud.

What exactly is sent to the cloud?

For any PE file that is checked against the cloud, we create multiple cryptographic hashes. Amongst them is what we call a “reverse signature” of the file. This reverse signature is able to identify multiple similar files. The response from the cloud can be “malware”, “goodware” or “unknown”. Also we send “behavioral traits” of files to be scanned heuristically remotely by the cloud. These are basically properties and characteristics of each file. In summary, no content and no personal information is ever sent to the cloud.

Cloud Antivirus detected a Trojan and deleted it. How can I get it back?

Cloud Antivirus is pre-configured to automatically delete malicious files. However suspicious files and certain types of grayware (hacking tools, potentially unwanted programs, etc.) are not deleted automatically and sent to the Recycle Bin (quarantine). To access the Recycle Bin, click on the folded bottom right corner of the Cloud Antivirus program. From there you can unblock detected files and get access to them again. Keep in mind that, once unblocked, these will not be detected again by Cloud Antivirus. However if the file that was detected is a true malicious file such as a Trojan, it will be deleted automatically and there’s no way to get it back (after all, you’re installing Cloud Antivirus to get rid of malware, right?).

Why can’t I choose delete/block/ignore when it detects a Trojan?

As an antivirus program, the main thing that users ask for from us is that we detect and get rid of malicious files without bothering them. This is exactly what Cloud Antivirus does, keeping everything as simple and straightforward as possible. This is what we’re trying to do with the new protection model of Cloud Antivirus, to manage all these decisions for end users automatically. However we are getting some feedback from advanced users to have this functionality included. We’re thinking about how to approach this but one way would be to activate an “advanced mode” and while in that mode maintain an encrypted copy of every detected file in the Recycle Bin (at least for x amount of max time) that can be recovered if needed. Comments about this approach are welcomed.

Can I run Cloud Antivirus alongside my Norton360/AVG/Etc.?

No you can’t, just as you can’t (or shouldn’t) run two or more different antivirus programs at the same time. The Cloud Antivirus installer identifies a large number of AV programs and will stop the installation if it detects one running. However there are reports of some users that have been able to install Cloud Antivirus running at the same time as lesser known AV programs such as Spyware Doctor Antivirus. In these cases you might experience slowness or slugginesh of the Operating System. To resolve this issue simply uninstall one of the two AV programs.

Scan stuck at x%.

Issue 1: This is a bug of the interface transparency effect. It’s not really a bug with the scan itself; rather it’s a bug on the interface painting actions. It occurs when, during the scan, the screensaver kicks in or the user session is closed. After coming back to the scan window, the impression is that the scan is stuck. However if you click on the scan window and drag it you can see that the scan is finished or still progressing.
Issue 2: We have had some reports of stuck scans which are not due to the interface transparency effect. If you are experiencing this problem, please export your Windows Event Log for Cloud Antivirus (My PC, Manage, Event Viewer, Nano, right-click & Save as) and send it to us at
beta@pandasecurity.com.

Yes this is a reported and known bug. We’ll fix it as soon as possible.

See the FAQ above about running Cloud Antivirus in parallel with another AV program. If this is not the case and you still experience slowness of the Operating System in general, please contact beta@pandasecurity.com and send us the details of your configuration.

I’m having problems downloading the Cloud Antivirus installation program.

Delete all temporary file from your browser and try downloading again from www.cloudantivirus.com.

Categories: architecture Tags: ,
  1. June 9th, 2009 at 18:06 | #1

@La Felipedia that’s an interesting suggestion for alternative installation methods. Actually we’ve talked about this very same thing internally as well in the past. Right now we don’t have it in the roadmap but it’s something we’re considering seriously.

@LJ not really. 17MB RAM consumption and about a 3% performance impact.

@Marco sorry about that. This is something we’ve fixed in the Beta2 which will be released shortly at http://www.cloudantivirus.com.

2. June 9th, 2009 at 19:15 | #2

I see that the event log doesn’t say which are the names of the malware detected since a few days ago (instead of that it says “No disponible”).

Another suggestion:
    when you maximize the window of the event report, it would be nice that the rows auto-adjust themselves for seeing it better.

3. June 10th, 2009 at 18:22 | #3

I like the product but will not use it on any client’s computer unless it is possible to recover deleted trojans/viruses etc.

I know of no other anti-virus that simply permananently deletes files without giving you the option to not do so or recover them – there is a very good reason for this.

4. June 10th, 2009 at 18:25 | #4

@Alex Molina does this happen every time you open the report or only happened once? Do you use a proxy server to access the Internet?

5. June 10th, 2009 at 18:28 | #5

@steven hawthorn we’ve changed this behaviour in Beta2, which we’ll release soon. With Beta2 you’ll be able to recover from the Recycle Bin any detected malware.

6. June 11th, 2009 at 14:20 | #6

Will Beta 2 also run on Windows 7??

7. Anand
    June 12th, 2009 at 15:43 | #7

Would certainly like to have the Beta2 now… I maintain several systems and Panda deleted several of the tools I use regularly.

8. blametheadmin
    June 17th, 2009 at 05:54 | #8

Hola Pedro! I have a question, and I’m sure I’m not alone here, when are we gonna be seeing the next release of PCA? Cheers!

9. June 18th, 2009 at 19:40 | #9

On the Beta2, will it be possible to move the files the user wants to the Recycle Bin? That could be used to send atomatically to PandaLabs the files that the user thinks that are malware and that the AV doesn’t detect.

10. Brian
    June 20th, 2009 at 03:50 | #10

I’ve been using Panda Cloud for a little while now with no problems, but today I’ve been getting a Windows security alert saying that my antivirus is not turned on. When I try turning it on through the Windows security window or through the start menu, nothing happens. However, under Computer Management > Services, the NanoServiceMain thing is running. Can anyone shed any light on this? Thanks in advance!

11. Stefan Jonsson
    June 20th, 2009 at 17:25 | #11

Does pandacloud scan incomming mails?

12. June 23rd, 2009 at 10:19 | #12

@Anand & @blametheadmin, it will come very soon in a few days..

@Alex Molina In Beta2 you will be able to recover deleted files but not enter new ones into the Recycle Bin manually. For this you can send the sample to virus@pandasecurity.com (manual response) or virussamples@pandasecurity.com (automated processing, don’t expect response).

@Brian, please try deleting the .PF files from C:\Windows\Prefetch and reboot. Does the problem still persist?

@Stefan Jonsson not currently. This is one of the important points of the New Protection Model explained at http://blog.cloudantivirus.com/2009/04/29/new-protection-model-explained/

13. Brian
    June 26th, 2009 at 05:47 | #13

The problem does indeed persist. I forgot to mention that I recently downloaded the newest Microsoft Framwork. Would this pose any conflicts?

14. June 27th, 2009 at 15:48 | #14

I don’t like the way that Panda Cloud Antivirus alerts the user that it has been detected malware, the banner is so big. What about showing a simple pop-up from the taskbar icon?
    Check out this montage I made: http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/2411/pandacloudpopup.png

15. Mesquire
    June 27th, 2009 at 18:46 | #15

How *free* is Cloud Antivirus?

Can I use it in a commercial environment? Is there a EULA for the software?

16. sharad gundras
    June 29th, 2009 at 11:19 | #16

How do i should connect panda’s cloud antivirus to internet to get the better performance

17. July 1st, 2009 at 01:31 | #17

@Brian please download Beta2 from http://www.cloudantivirus.com. This problem should be fixed now.

@Alex Molina Very nice Alex, thanks for the suggestion. We’ll look at it at the User Interface department.

@Mesquire It’s free for personal use, not free for commercial environment.

18. July 22nd, 2009 at 22:22 | #18

Can’t wait to try the x64 native version!

19. DaveA
    July 22nd, 2009 at 23:20 | #19

in the FAQ it says that only Portable Executable files are checked against the could. Does this mean Panda Cloud does not protect against malicious pdf’s, scripts, macros etc? Otherwise this is a great program and very innovative concept!

20. Adrian
    July 23rd, 2009 at 16:16 | #20

Is it true this always will be free of charge.Sound strange in my ears.Is it not good enough,is that why you not ar selling the product????

21. Amauri
    July 25th, 2009 at 11:14 | #21

Adrian :

Two reasons I can think:
    1. Each PC with Cloud AV is a “malware sensor” to C.I. More users, more sensors, faster reaction to new malware. Good to Cloud AV and good to paid versions of Panda Antivirus. And Cloud AV is free to home users, not corporate users.
    2. Merchandising… Do you know AVG or Avast? If you know it’s because they distribute free versions of their antivirus.

22. Terry
    July 30th, 2009 at 16:49 | #22

The FAQ says that only PE files are scanned. Does this provide protection from MS Office documents with macro viruses or PDF’s with embedded bad stuff?

Thanks.

23. July 31st, 2009 at 00:26 | #23

@DaveA & @Terry it’s correct that only PE files are checked against the cloud. But in addition to the cloud, Panda Cloud Antivirus also has a local cache of Collective Intelligence signatures which serve different purposes:
    * Protect while not connected to the Internet
    * Detect & disinfect file infectors, polymorphic, script/PDF/Office and other type of non-PE files.

@Adrian Yes that’s the plan. The reasons that Amauri mentioned are 100% correct.

24. EKantar
    August 2nd, 2009 at 20:27 | #24

Having installed the software it launched into a full background scan and then proceeded to scan by back up disc, which is huge and goes back a long way. How do I make sure that it doesn’t go through this every time? It’s been running for 3 hours now!
    Thanks

25. Jose
    August 6th, 2009 at 01:11 | #25

I have a virus running in my computer that’s not detected by Panda Cloud Antivirus. I’ve tried removing the hidden, system and read-only attributes from the executable file (named 22yj2fy1.exe) it creates on “c:\”, and then scanning it with the explorer contextual menu, but it says the file is fine. How can I send it to you so you can check it?

26. August 6th, 2009 at 09:48 | #26

@EKantar, you can disable the BackgroundScan if you have a huge amount of disks and data and don’t want it to be scanned. To find out how read:

@Jose Please run a scan with ActiveScan (http://www.activescan.com) to see if it is able to detect it and send it to us. Also, can you send me the MD5 of the file? Alternatively if you can boot with a LiveCD and copy the file, then password-protect it and send it to my email pedro.bustamante@pandasecurity.com.

27. maedeh
    December 27th, 2009 at 09:24 | #27

hi, i havae panda antiviruis 2010.i updated it and then scan my cumputer with it then it found my viruis. but i dont know how to delete them can email my the soluition step by step and explian it for me.i also read the part help but it wasnt usefule. thanks

Comment pages