Home > awards and certifications > Editor’s Choice – Best Free AV

Editor’s Choice – Best Free AV

November 15th, 2009

First it was PCWorld that recognized Panda Cloud Antivirus as the best free antivirus in detecting malware.

Now PC Magazine has reviewed Panda Cloud Antivirus and stamped it’s renowned Editor’s Choice on CloudAV for Best Free AV.

pcmag_ec

Best Free Antivirus

As you can imagine we are all very happy and would like to thank all of you who have helped during the long beta testing period to improve the product. You can read the full review in the following link:

While you’re at it, make sure to “Rate this product” to show other users how you feel about Panda Cloud Antivirus.

Categories: awards and certifications Tags:
  1. December 26th, 2009 at 04:53 | #1

@Ian Yes it will detect in real-time viruses trying to install from webpages.

2. mammoth
    December 28th, 2009 at 12:21 | #2

hi pedro.
    although pcmag gave a great review they were concerned about one aspect.

“When I evaluated this program’s beta release, I noted that it was much better at detecting malware than at actually cleaning it up. This is still true in the final product. While Cloud Antivirus detected 100 percent of my malware samples it scored just 6.7 of 10 possible points. It left behind executable files for half the samples and left almost a third of those actively running. In many cases partial removal of a threat resulted in Windows error messages bewailing the “missing” files.”

are steps being taken to rectify the above?
    i love panda cloud, which installed without a hitch and neutralised three trojans on first scan!
    happy new year to all.

3. Nicole
    December 29th, 2009 at 10:50 | #3

Thanks giving us free…….
    Wish you successful in your food steps to future….:]

4. buddee
    January 1st, 2010 at 11:46 | #4

when you are going to release 1.1 version.

5. January 1st, 2010 at 13:57 | #5

@mammoth The cleaning part of this test (at least the parts I know of from past tests) refers to leftover malware traces, which are normally unimportant registry entries that have no negative effect on system security nor performance (for example a reg entry pointing to a non-existant file). Therefore I would not worry too much. Panda Cloud Antivirus does disinfect perfectly all traces of malware which are important.

@buddee sorry, we don’t have a date yet. I will post details as soon as we have something more concrete.

6. mammoth
    January 1st, 2010 at 14:40 | #6

thanks for the explanation/reassurance pedro.

7. Parroteer
    January 1st, 2010 at 17:24 | #7

Hi Pedro, New Years greetings to you and team.

I posted a query on your feedback forum, dont think right place, but here it is again.

I downloaded your latest final version of the antivirus program, no problem there, and I was advised that an verifcation e-mail would be sent to my address in order that I could activate my account and start using Panda Cloud on my system. I have yet to receive this mail from your group, so my pc is unprotected at this time, worrying to say least, what is the holdup? Thanx P

8. Kev
    January 2nd, 2010 at 22:21 | #8

So can you clarify this point for me as I’ve been arguing with the guys at work,that it’s not actually necessary to run a scan (apart from , as you do ,when initially installed)because all the detection/cleaning/neutralizing etc is done by realtime ie.,in the cloud/your servers SO it would be ideal for serious users and novices ie.,the people who give you a blank look when you ask them “when did you last defrag the disk?” Thanks !

9. January 4th, 2010 at 10:12 | #9

@Parroteer try checking your spam folder. It might be in there. If that’s not the case, try with another email account or send me a message with the email address you registered with to pedro.bustamante@pandasecurity.com and we will activate it manually.

@Kev When Panda Cloud Antivirus is installed, it scans everything that is loaded in memory. From that moment on, anything that is accessed or executed is also scanned in real-time before it is allowed to execute. So in this respect it works like any other realtime AV.

10. January 26th, 2010 at 06:43 | #10

Hi
    I have been using Panda anti-virus software (paid for, not freeware) for about 5 years for my private PCs and have been very happy with the results. I run a small company (12 users) and we currently run Trend Micro Virus Buster 2009 software, but our licenses are due for renewal soon. If we allow them to expire and install Panda Cloud Antivirus instead will we get the same level of protection? This is a business so it’s obviously pretty important for us to stay virus free!
    Thanks, Jezza.

11. January 30th, 2010 at 00:11 | #11

@Jezza Actually Cloud Antivirus is a basic AV without firewall, central management, support or any other features you might need for a business. You might want to try Panda Cloud Protection which is based on the same concept as Panda Cloud Antivirus but for multiple PCs in a network:

12. Shawn Huntington
    February 9th, 2010 at 03:05 | #12

Pedro, if we want to use the Cloud Antivirus on basic business machines that don’t need (or have the budget) for the Panda Cloud Antivirus is that allowed? I don’t see anything mentioning restrictions in the EULA. Thanks!

13. February 11th, 2010 at 01:08 | #13

@Shawn Huntington Unfortunately Panda Cloud Antivirus Free Edition is only for home users and not-for-profit organizations and schools (as mentioned in the EULA). However if you like Panda Cloud Antivirus we have a similar offering for business called “Panda Cloud Protection” which is available for free trial at http://cloudprotection.pandasecurity.com.

14. Kenshin
    February 23rd, 2010 at 08:47 | #14

panda looks and sounds like a good av and i like pandas.so i gonna give it a try

15. Hoot
    February 26th, 2010 at 13:09 | #15

I am using panda antivirus pro 2009 which is due for renewal in about a month I am a home user with one pc. It seems I would get the same av. cover from cloud as a pensioner the saving would be usefull, what’s the catch? hoot

16. February 28th, 2010 at 05:28 | #16

@Hoot sure, you can switch to Cloud Antivirus. Just don’t forget to install a free firewall (the Windows firewall should be enough) and to be as secure as with Panda Antivirus Pro, a free behavioural analysis engine.

17. carlo
    March 3rd, 2010 at 15:56 | #17

“I seldom connect to the internet because of fear of getting infected. I have already read a lot of articles regarding your good reputation of protecting computers online, however, I’m curious, will I receive the same kind of protection while I’m OFFLINE???(I spend most of my time using computer offline)

Please bear with me coz I’m not a geek and this “cloud” technology sounds new to me..” thanks.

18. carlo
    March 3rd, 2010 at 16:45 | #18

i have just installed PCA.. i heard that it’s an excellent protection online.. does it provide the same protection offline? another thing.. is it ok to use it w/ deep freeze? thanks, Pedro.

19. Tom
    March 5th, 2010 at 15:10 | #19

Yeh, what about OFFLINE protection? I have a laptop, and do a lot of offline stuff…….

Thanks Panda for any help with this issue

20. maryam
    March 10th, 2010 at 13:25 | #20

what is the best of worm’s killer?
    tanks